While making headlines and dividing fashionistas, the 80’s “It-bag” is officially making a comeback.
The traditional “fanny pack” (American English) or “bum bag” (British English) – a small fabric pouch usually secured with a zipper and worn by use of a strap around the hips or waist – was sported as a cool accessory in the 80’s and early 90’s. Today, they are spotted on fashion runways for some of the world’s most elite brands.
Although originally debunked in 2012 to 2013, luxury brands such as Prada and Salvatore Ferragamo are adding a modern edge to the once neon emblazoned cult classic. From Prada, and Fenty by Puma’s sporty nylon designs to elegant, leather creations from Salvatore Ferragamo. For those looking for a more urban street style, the waist bag with a visible logo, featured by Gucci on the runway, is proving popular.
While the newly branded “waist bags” or “belt bags” are rooted from the same idea of a “bum bag”, these high-end designers are changing the way they can be worn. Taking inspiration straight from the runways, celebrities such as American fashion model, Gigi Hadid have been spotted with comic printed leather models by Prada, while rapper, A$AP Rocky demonstrates how men can work the trendy accessory too, by draping a red Balenciaga version across his body, rather than around the waist.
If you’re still not convinced, check out our reasons for why the belt-bag could be the hottest accessory of Spring-Summer 2018:
- While sporty pieces can add to a casual look, simple leather or suede styles can tone down a formal look, for example, an evening dress.
- It’s versatile! Thanks to the adjustable strap you can wear the fanny pack at the waist, over the shoulder or cross-body style.
- It displays multipurpose qualities as not only a fashion accessory but also a utility belt. By keeping your hands free, this trendy bag is perfect for running, hiking or travelling. Its small but secure compartments also make it a safe but stylish option for nights out.
- Variety – choose from the endless shapes and forms to suit your style, mood and needs.
- If Kendall Jenner and Leonardo DiCaprio can rock it, why can’t we?
So step aside fashion police! Whether you are a style risk-taker or feeling nostalgic about the 80’s or 90’s, the waist bag is definitely worth investing in. One thing’s for sure – your Instagram followers will thank you for it.
Text: Hira Desai